Wednesday, February 16, 2011


This is Kurt Schmitters’  Die heilige Nacht von Antonio Allegri gen. Correggio, done in 1947.  When I think of collage, this is what I mostly think of. I really like how he has used all sorts of different kinds of paper.  It keeps your eye moving.  Schmitter uses a very classical approach to collage. It looks very simple and like anyone could do something similar, but he adds depth by placing darker pieces of paper in the background.  Every time I look, I see something new and interesting. 



 This is Josh Sommers photo, untitled. Comparing Schmitters’ photo to Sommers’, it also keeps your eye moving.  Although they have very different subject matter, they both are appealing to the viewer.  The way he brings the face into the tree looks difficulty.  Also finding a tree that has room for a nose would be hard or manipulating the photo would not be easy.  My eye goes straight to the eye ball, then to the ground, followed by the light area in the background and then to the leaves and branches and back to the eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment